OUR STATEMENT OF FAITH
Each and every person, in order to become or remain a member of this church should subscribe to the following articles of faith, (when any member feels he/she can no longer subscribe to the articles of faith, they should withdraw their membership).
The Inspiration, Authority, and Sufficiency of Scripture
1. We believe that the completed Scriptures of the Old and New Testaments are verbally inspired by God and are equally inerrant in all their parts as originally written. They are sufficient for life and godliness and are our supreme and final authority in faith and practice. (II Timothy 3:16-17; Rev. 22:18-19; 2 Peter 1;3-4a, 20-21; John 17:17; Prov. 30:5-6; Matt 4:4).
The Triune God
2. We believe in the triune God- - Father, Son, and Holy Spirit, each person being equal, yet there not being three Gods but one. (Deut. 6:4, Isa 45:21-22; Matt 28:19; John 10:30, 14:26, 15:26; Acts 2:33; 2 Cor. 13:14; Heb. 9:14l 1 Pet. 1:2).
3. We believe God created everything and upholds His creation by the word of His power. God is eternal and all knowing, all powerful and unchanging. He is holy in character and just in His dealing with us. God is love and truth. He is sovereign in all matters and does hear and answer the prayer of faith according to His will. (Gen. 1:1; Revelation 4:11, Hebrews 1:3, Isaiah 40:9-17, 1 Peter 1:15, Psalm 19:9, Romans 3:2-26, 1 John 4:8, John 14:6, Ephesians 1, Romans 9; James 5:15; Col. 1:15-17).
Humanity’s Creation and Fall
4. We believe that God wonderfully and immutably creates each person as male or female. These two distinct, complementary, genders together reflect the image and nature of God (Gen. 1:26-27). Rejection of one’s biological sex is a rejection of the image of God within that person. We believe that “marriage” is the uniting of one man and one woman in a single, exclusive union, as defined in Scripture (Gen. 2:18-25). God intends sexual intimacy to occur only between a man and a woman who are married to each other (1 Cor. 6:18; 7:2-5; Heb. 13:4). God has commanded that no intimate sexual activity be engaged in outside of a marriage between a man and a woman (as genetically defined). We believe that any form of sexual immorality such as adultery, fornication, homosexual behavior, bisexual conduct, bestiality, incest, pornography, cohabitation, and any attempt to change one’s gender is sinful and offensive to God (Matt. 15:18-20; 1 Cor. 6:9-10). We believe that God offers redemption and restoration to all who confess and forsake their sin, seeking His mercy and forgiveness through Jesus Christ (Acts 3:19-21; Rom. 10:9-10; 1 Cor. 6:9-11). We believe that every person must be afforded compassion, love, kindness, respect, and dignity (Mark 12:28-31; Luke 6:31). Hateful and harassing behavior or attitudes directed toward any individual are to be repudiated and are not in accord with Scripture nor the doctrines of Abingdon Bible Church.
5. We believe all human beings, born or unborn, are made in the image of God. Everyone has an intrinsic dignity and is worthy of our love and service. Our salvation in Christ will transform all of our personal and social responsibilities. Faith must be reflected in our lives. (Isa. 1:17; Gen. 1:26-27; Lev. 19:18; Luke 6:27-36; James 2:14-26).
6. We believe in the fall of man through the sin of Adam, resulting in the necessity of the New Birth through Jesus Christ. We believe that in view of the total depravity and the lost condition of all the unsaved, the obligation of the saved is to witness by life and word to the whole world of the glorious gospel of Jesus Christ. (Rom. 5:12,14; John 3:3-6; Acts 1:8; Matt. 28:19-20).
The Person and Work Of Christ
7. We believe in the virgin birth, the sinless life, and the eternal deity of Jesus Christ the Lord. (Isa. 7:14; Luke 1:35; John 8:46; Heb. 7:26; John 1:1-3; Col. 1:15-20).
8. We believe in the Lordship of Jesus Christ, His death, burial and bodily resurrection, His ascension into Heaven, and His present intercession and high priesthood in the presence of God, the Father, for us. (Acts 2:32; 1 Cor. 15:23; Acts 1:9; 1 John 2:1; Heb. 8:1-2).
The Holy Spirit
9. We believe that the Holy Spirit is a person, who convicts the world of sin, of righteousness, and of judgment; and that He regenerates, indwells, enlightens, and empowers the saved. The baptism of the Holy Spirit is received by every believer at salvation (John 16:8; Rom. 8:9; I Cor. 3:16; 6:19; 12:13; Ephesians 1:13; I John 2:27; Matt. 3:11).
10. We believe that those who are born again possess two natures, and that believers may be victorious over the old nature through the power of the indwelling Holy Spirit, but eradication of the old nature is unscriptural. (Rom. 6:13, 8:12-13; Gal. 5:16-25; Eph. 4:22-24; Col. 3:10; 1 Peter 1:14-16; 1 John 3:5-9).
11. We believe that Satan is a real person who was created perfect, but fell through pride. He was the tempter at the fall of man, and is the archenemy of God and the souls of men. (Job 1:6-7; Ezek. 28:14-15; Isa. 14:12-13).
The Doctrine of Salvation
12. We believe that men are justified on the single ground of faith in the shed blood of the Lord Jesus. Salvation is entirely by the grace of God and not by any works so that all boasting is excluded. (Acts 13:38-39; Eph. 2:8-9; Titus 3:5; Rom. 3:25; Heb. 9:14).
13. We believe in eternal security for the believer on earth and the eternal blessedness of the righteous in Heaven. (John 10:27-30; Romans 8:35, 38, 39; John 6:37).
The Church: Redeemed Humanity Incorporated Into Christ
14. We believe that every believer has received spiritual gifts to minister to others in the body of Christ. A primary role of leadership is enabling individual members to discover and use their gifts. (Eph. 4:11-12; Rom. 12:6-8; 1 Cor. 12:12-31; 1 Pet. 4:10-11).
15. We believe that all the true believers in Jesus Christ are members of the body of Christ, the true Church. (1 Cor. 12:12-13; Hebrews 12:23).
The Future Restoration
16. We believe in and expectantly await the personal, glorious, visible, and imminent return of the Lord Jesus Christ for His saints. He will establish His millennial kingdom for 1,000 years over all the Earth from Jerusalem, in which the Lord and His saints shall rule over all the Earth in peace and righteousness. (1 Thes. 4:13-18; Zech. 14:4-11; Rom. 5:9; 1 Thes. 1:10, 5:9; Rev. 3:10, 19:11-16, 20:4-6; Acts 1:3, 9-11).
17. We believe in the bodily resurrection of all people, the eternal blessedness of the redeemed, and the eternal conscious punishment of the unsaved. (John 14:1-6; Phil. 3:20; Rev. 21:1-4; Matt. 25:46; Rev. 22:11).
IS DOCTRINE ?
"All the believers devoted themselves to the apostles’ teaching, and to fellowship, and to sharing in meals (including the Lord’s Supper), and to prayer"
(Acts 2:42 NLT).